maandag 20 september 2010

In memoriam

I was home when it happend. My father called my mother and asked: 'Have you already seen it?' 'No? What is it?' 'Turn the tv on.' She was sitting on the tip of the couch, watching television. One hand was covering her mouth, while she kept her eyes wide open. I was standing next to the couch, watching her and the television. I didn't realise at all what kind of disaster it actually was. It wasn't real for me.


Last week, it was September 11. I can not believe it has already been 9 years ago that thousands of people died. My parents did not pay attention to all those horrible stories on tv. But I was watching them at my computer. And for the first time I realised it. I felt the feeling they would have felt, and I am trying to discribe it:


Imagine, that you are at your work as always, when you notice something is totally wrong. You can see that a plane hit the building next to yours. There is panic, collegues are calling, yelling, and wondering what has gone wrong. But than, another plane crashes. And this time it is your building. Dust is everywere. Fire is everywere. People are trying to escape this nightmare. Water is coming from the stairs. You are looking out your window, you can not believe this is real. All the people on the street are looking up. You see people jumping. You can see the fear in their face, but also the resolution. You are completely in shock, everything around you is gone. You think about your family, about your child, and your friends. You realise you are going to die, and you realise you are not going to die that way. You take your last breath... and you jump.

While I realised the movie was ended, I noticed that I was sitting at the tip of my chair, keeping my eyes wide open, and that I was covering my mouth with both hands. A tear is sliding down my cheek. That day changed everything.





Ass. 7 Letter of enquiry:

Kerkewijk 12
1234 AB Utrecht
Holland

20 September, 2010

City College Manchester
5 Crescent Road
Crumpsall Manchester M8 5UF

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was looking on the website of City College Manchester. And I am interested in an EFL course for international students. I am studying business communication in Utrecht. It's my first year as a student, and my first year English in a hbo-class. In my opinion my level of English is average. I scored a 6.5 for my exam. I was interested in this course because I think it would be useful for my study. I was wondering if you could send me some information about it. I would like to know, for example, how long this study takes, and when. I was wondering if we have to pass an exam, and what the required level of English is.

I hope you will be able to send me the information I need.



Best regards,

Gemma (T)


Assignment 8:
1. What is remarkable about the comments and the bloggers of the Federal Reserve Bank?
The remarkable thing about the comments and the bloggers of the Federal Reserve Bank is that they can decide if they want to be anonymous or not.
2. The Federal Reserve Bank opened a blog to create ''buzz''. What is meant by in this, other words, what was the purpose of opening a blog?
The purpose of opening a blog was creating traffic.
3. What was the female recruiting manager's blog mainly about?
Her blog was mainly about her challenges of being a fulltime mum and a fulltime manager of people who needs her.
4. What was the purpose of her blog?
The purpose of her blog was recuiting people to come to the FED. Another purpose was building trust.
5. Which words show that the FED does exercise a form of control on the blogs?
The words 'regulate' and 'moderate' show that the FED does exercise a form of control on the blogs.
6. By what kind of people were the very fisrt FED blogs written?
By senior management.
7. Have the blogs changed the way that people who work for the FED think about internal communications?
Yes, the credibility has increased.
8. What is the latest development in the company as far as media are concerned?
Advertising
9. Catherine Cummings says that this medium to communicate with staff is better than an older medium. Which more old-fashioned way of communicating with staff does she mention?
The more old-fashioned way of communicating with staff that she mentions is a memo.
10. What is the next big thing in social media at the FED?
They have two internets of the chicago FED.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten